Sleep Is A Weapon

 Saturday, March 26, 2011

So. Tired.


Sometimes when The Husband travels, I turn into a martyr. That is, I declare "in for a penny, in for a pound" and allow the kids to have friends over.

It's actually kind of selfish in a way. I am such a creature of habit that I'm pretty possessive about our typical Friday night tacos and movie night routine, so I rarely allow someone else's child to intrude on it. But since I didn't have a date last night anyway, I figured I might as well go all in.

The Boy had not only a friend over, but a friend over for a sleepover.

Wow. It was...busy.

(Major, major props to those of you out there with two or -gulp- more boys. By themselves, eight-year-old boys are fairly manageable, particularly the ones who can be calmed down most of the time with a book and a snuggle. But double that number and it gets pretty interesting.)

These two peas in a pod are mostly in love with all things screenish, so there was DS and Wii and a movie to keep their attention. But the transition time betwixt each...so much running...and tumbling...and chasing.... How do they possibly take up all the space in the room like that?

And while they slept fine, it did take awhile to get there. Like, a very long "I just need to finish this level" and "can you please put a blanket over those stickers" and "can we switch beds" and "what if I need the bathroom" while. Despite which, of course, they were up and tumbling again sometime before six AM.

Gah.

I read those Bourne books a few years ago - you know, those Bourne Identity and Bourne Some-such-or-other spy novels. They're one of the only cases I know of where the movies are better than the books, partly because the movies veer wildly from the original plots.

But the one thing that keeps coming up is Jason Bourne declaring "sleep is a weapon" and regaling tales of when he was in special ops and leading his team through the jungle and they were surrounded by enemy fire and his big, bright solution was to lie down for an hour or two while his comrades kept watch.

Seems a bit silly, maybe, but who of us hasn't gone into the battle that is everyday life a little bit sleep-deprived and gotten their butts handed to them?

I'm in no shape to do anything today, much less drag kids to swimming lessons and bully my way into one of the too few family change rooms and drop off at (another!) play date (despite the fact that I've already had to do all of this).

Nope, I'm going to finish up the mac and cheese on the stove and head off for a quick nap.

Cover me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment