House Hunting Update

 Thursday, March 17, 2011

So, PM, what's up with your house hunt? I haven't heard anything - you're not totally discouraged yet, are you? Hey, these things take time, no worries. You started off with going to see that one house the other day - did that go okay?


Yep.

We bought it.

Seriously?

Yep.

Isn't that the first house you looked at?

Yep. You know how they console aging singles who have dated a gazillion Wrong Ones that when they do meet The Right One, they'll know it immediately and they can prance down the aisle without any doubts four weeks later?

We're pretty much like that. Except with a house. We've lived in so many other houses in so many different locations that we know exactly what we like, exactly what we hate, and (most importantly), what we can put up with.

Well. This is pretty exciting. But I have to admit I'm a bit disappointed. I was looking forward to tales of multiple open houses, finally finding The Perfect House, putting in an offer, nail-biting, exulting over acceptance; I was pretty much going to live vicariously through you. And now you've gone and done all the dirty work behind the scenes.

Yep. Sorry about that. We actually put in the offer the day after we saw it, and then there was a 48-hour flurry of counter-offers and inspections. There were a few lingering negotiations to get through, though, and I knew that if it didn't work out, it would Break. My. Heart. Into a gazillion pieces.

Plus I knew that if I put pictures up and you saw them and then it didn't work out it would also break YOUR heart. And I promised to use my powers on The Internets for good and not evil. So I waited until it was a done deal.

Well, I suppose that's very nice of...wait, you have pictures?

Yep.
That dining room set? Totally mine. They threw it in with the purchase. Like a free commemorative Olympic glass with a fill at Domo.
My rockstar kitchen. Be still my heart - a gas stove! I lurve cooking with gas.
You'd think this would be a selling feature, particularly for a girl who is upset about not being on her bus route anymore.

Nope: "I HATE pink! Why does everyone think girls like pink?!" So it's first on the list for painting. *sniff sniff* It IS super cute, though.
See all those shelves? My goal is to have ALL toys in the owner's room and that's it. Think it'll work?

Super cute, eh? There's also an attached garage in the back (swoooon!). The lawn is pretty big for the city, which isn't actually our favourite since we're avowed non-lawn kids. But we'll make it work.

The best part is something you can't see on the pictures - the location. We loved the neighbourhood the house-before-our-current one was in, but it wasn't in the school division. As we moved out of that area to where we are now, we often said wistfully, "if only we were on that side of the street," since our old house was literally one block on the wrong side of the boundary line.

So over the past three years as we've been watching the real estate market and driving around looking at For Sale signs and trying to decide where we wanted to end up, we narrowed our search down to six square blocks in all of Minnesota that would be our first choice. Anything else in the school division would be okay, but not our best.

Guess where we ended up?

PM - you know you're the luckiest girl around, right?

Yep.

2 comments:

Marilyn P March 17, 2011 at 9:38 AM  

An amazing story ... and God gave you the desire of your heart!! So happy for you!

Post a Comment