Best. Dog. Ever.

 Thursday, March 10, 2011

Before we begin our post proper...


HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

(Ahem.)

Today is Buffy's birthday!

Yup, March 10 is the day we decided the Best Dog Ever needed a birthday, and what better day to celebrate than on the same day you decide to create the birthday? Why waste time?

See, we had to create a birthday for her because she was used. She came to us pre-owned by the pastor's family, whose move to a new city did not include a dog. Free dogs do not come with birthdays - that's for the fancy ones that you actually pony up a bit of cash for.

In this picture (the only one I can find of her, but holy smokes is it not the funniest one ever??), she is still pretty svelte. This is because when we got her, she was extremely well-trained. She had a little rug for the corner to which she obediently headed at mealtime. People food was verboten. She was used to long, skinny-dog-making walks.

Yeah, that all lasted for about a month.

Within a few days, she was edging towards our chairs (possibly because we solicited her with handouts). Within a few weeks, she was sitting right beside us, waiting for the inevitable broccoli sneak. Within months, she had her front paws up on your chair, nudging her nose beneath your arm and moving it out of the way so she could get closer to your plate.

(True story: After Buffy died, my mom couldn't eat the last bite of her toast for months. It was the "Buffy bite" and it lay untouched on that plate, a mini memento mori for us all.)

The more we loved her, the fatter she got. Pretty soon she was busting out of her little red sweaters.

But she was great. Sweet, gentle, and loving. She could be a bit shy, and when she got a haircut at the groomers, she spent the day under the open dishwasher door because she was embarrassed.

She'd lie beside you on the couch until she got unbearably hot. But she loved you so much, she'd just try to pant herself cool. (Of course, she was so rotund that she just ended up shaking the couch. Which made it a jiggly, dog-breath couch of happiness.)

Buffy died right before I left home, so in some ways, I've often associated her death with the beginning of my grown-up life. She was the only dog I've ever owned. And probably ever will, since I both my husband and son are severely allergic. Also? I can barely take care of my munchkins, and never remember to take them for walks; I'm not a good dog mommy.

But that's okay - Buffy gave me enough doggy love to last my whole life.

(P.S. I think my mom made those sweatshirts. In case you were wondering.)

8 comments:

Anonymous,  March 10, 2011 at 7:28 AM  

Aw, Buffy. I'll raise an imaginary cheeseburger in your honour.

Marilyn P March 10, 2011 at 6:52 PM  

I remember Buffy (but didn't know she shared a birthday with Darren) I was there to witness her giving birth to the cutest 'Buffettes'. (And I remember homemade sweatshirts, too!!)

Margaret March 10, 2011 at 8:52 PM  

I remember Buffy! Happy Birthday!

peitricia mae March 10, 2011 at 10:08 PM  

*Gasp!* I forgot how I always brought her a cheeseburger (made with love at A&W) on her birthday!

(I'm sure it didn't contribute *at all* to her obesity.)

And who knew it was Darren's birthday?! Lucky boy.

Get this - The Husband was driving today and he saw an Iowa license plate that said "BUFFY." She was smiling down her love at us from heaven :)

Laurel March 10, 2011 at 10:44 PM  

Remember the movie we made with Buffy? Was she a detective? (She had already entered into her overweight years so she was rather stationary as I recall.)

Warped Board March 11, 2011 at 7:44 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chrystie March 11, 2011 at 7:46 PM  

I was thinking about that movie too! All day, in fact. It was making me (more) batty, because I couldn't remember the title. Certainly PM will remember? RIP, Buffy (not to be confused with my dad, just in case The Husband is reading this...).

peitricia mae March 12, 2011 at 2:17 PM  

Ha! It was "Buffy: Pet Detective." It consisted of her being lured into action by someone offscreen with a milkbone. I think she found some keys for someone and thwarted villains all at the *same* time.

Post a Comment