Reunited

 Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Awww...aren't they cute?

Yes, she's finally here; I've missed her so much. All of her scratches (thanks 59 highway!). All of her dents (remember when I hit the bus bench, Floral Fern?). Her soft, forgiving, almost mushy clutch. The way she starts to shake and shudder if you drive too fast. The way her winter tires and lazy (compared to The Husband's) suspension encourage leisurely and laid-back driving.

See, she's a mini-me - a bit beat-up, kind of lazy, protesting against working too hard and always just a bit loud.

In other moving news, I have a grocery store dilemma. I've mostly been shopping at Cub - relatively similar to Extra Foods except without the inexplicable lack of actual products on the shelves. But the corner store is Lund's - the place where the well-heeled find brand names and carefully and exquisitely designed displays. One does not find no-name brand there.

So far the big box store has won out because of cheaper prices. But yesterday I took a quick trip into Lovely Lund's just to pick up a few things. Seeking the express lane, I looked up and saw:

"10 Items or Fewer"

As we all know, I'm a sucker for grammatical correctness. And as we also all know, one uses "fewer" when referring to countable nouns and "less" when referring to non-count nouns (i.e. one would never say "there were less people there" unless describing a particularly successful Weight Watchers meeting).

Thus, I may just have to open up my pocketbook a little bit further. If only they knew that correct grammar was a marketing tool....


(Edited to change my example of bad grammar to an actual example of bad grammar - see, it's so ingrained that I simply can't write an incorrect sentence! And if you read it the wrong [i.e. right] way the first time around and wondered what I was smoking, good for you!)

1 comments:

Anonymous,  September 26, 2007 at 3:36 PM  

Excellent news about the car! So you can retire half your chauffeuring duties? Normal never felt so good, eh?

I'd love to send the grocery survey people to you, and see if they have a little check box on their form: "Criteria for choosing a store -- correct grammar in signage"!

Post a Comment