Home Sweet Home

 Monday, September 17, 2007

It was *so* good to pull up into "my" driveway last night after a long day's drive. Yes, there are still a lot of boxes to unpack (although The Husband has done a stellar job in my absence). Yes, we still have no phone or internet (although we've found an unsecured connection that just barely works when there aren't any cars or bicycles passing by). But it's *our* chaotic, unconnected mess and we can see through to the house's comfortable and cozy future and it feels good.

(And no more hotel breakfasts. I will be okay if I never eat dry scrambled eggs or dry danishes or watered down coffee again.)

It was also good to be "home", where by "home" I mean with my family and friends and by "good" I mean soul-comforting. Still feels oh so raw and while there is lots on my heart, I seem to be powerless to put it into words right about now.

Today was a "back to the grind" day. Reason #4571 to hate SUVs: the drivers in them are unlikely to see Jettas that are in front of them. I stalled in an intersection ( in my defense, The Husband's car has a *very* different clutch) and no sooner had I started again than I felt a big jolt. Initially I thought I'd stalled yet again, but one look into the very large Tahoe looming behind me and I realized I'd been rear-ended. The driver was quite apologetic and kind (I would be, too, if I'd gotten into an accident with my brand new vehicle and I also hadn't bothered to get a Minnesota driver's license since I moved from out-of-state two years ago). The damage appears minimal, but The Husband suspects a new bumper will be required. Not my fault, but not my favourite way to spend my afternoon.


But we spent a lovely evening biking around Lake Harriet. Lots of hills, which remind me that it has been some time since I exercised sustainably. It gets dark so quickly here; we left at 7:20 and it was beginning to get dusky and by 8:00 it was almost completely dark. Guess that's what happens when you leave the land of the midnight sun.

3 comments:

4ever29 September 18, 2007 at 10:11 AM  

How's that soft tissue injury? You know you are in the USA now where "legal action" is a favourite past time?

Chrystie September 19, 2007 at 7:26 AM  

2 words: Don't forget. :-)

Anonymous,  September 19, 2007 at 2:57 PM  

a) So glad you are home!! It sounds lovely!

b) I broke down and got meself a blog. Yarrr.

Post a Comment