Remember on 90210 when Dylan McKay lived in a hotel?

 Monday, September 3, 2007

It seemed really cool. Yes, he had issues with his estranged father, problems with alcohol and hung out with a bunch of kids much younger than he, but he also had room service. Plus that whole "come on up to my hotel room, Brenda" line certainly added to the mystique.

I have come to realize that there is nothing cool about living in a hotel room. Well, if I drove a motorcycle and was going back to high school tomorrow in between my surfing sessions, maybe. But waiting for my MIA household goods with a perfectly serviceable house sitting empty? Not so much.

The worst part is that there is no "cool-down" location. The Girl has spent the greater part of the long weekend being alternately belligerent, whiney and weepy. I know that it is because she lacks structure and is nervous about her new school, but it is hard to remember that in the moment. Today has been a delicate balance of fostering the parent/child bond with "tell me how that makes you feel" and "if you don't stay in that bathroom, your time-out will be that much longer." Yes, I've got that Parent of the Year award *just* about sewn up....

We did go over to the new house today to do a bit of laundry and walked about the new area. There's a grocery store half a block away plus a bunch of restaurants and a fabulous liquor store. And a violin shop. And I know what you're all thinking: it's tough to find a quality violin shop these days.

The rest of the day was spent in the hotel pool and watching Animal Planet. It's been a Steve Irwin (aka The Crocodile Hunter) tribute weekend. I'm not ashamed to say I've been a bit misty-eyed watching him interact with his daughter, knowing how short-lived his obvious pride in her will be. (Fortunately I could still see through the tears enough to muscle my own daughter into the bathroom for another time-out.)

Tomorrow is the big day - first day of school! I'll update tomorrow with all the highs and lows.

1 comments:

4ever29 September 4, 2007 at 10:31 AM  

You had me at "fabulous liquor store". Hope your hosehold goods arrive soon so you can get back to normal life.

Post a Comment