Monday, Monday

 Monday, October 1, 2007

Hey all - I'm still here! Sorry for being so absent lately; our internet was intermittent last week and every time I sat down to blog, it was in its "let's mess with Peitricia's head" mode. I unplugged cables, plugged in other cables, removed the router, reset things etc. etc. We finally called the cable company and they came down on Saturday to fix the original installation, so methinks we're really good to go now.

Well, I haven't heard from The Husband so either he made it to work safely on his bike or is lying in a ditch somewhere, feebly calling my name. It's iffy - last week he managed to break two bikes in two days. The first happened when we were on a family bike ride to a park and "something" broke on his bike (that's about as technical as I can be about it). We coasted/walked our bikes to the park, just barely ahead of the threatening downpour that was quickly overtaking us. I promptly turned around to head for home (stupid, stupid - why did we send the weakest link?!) and made sure to bring back the car with the bike racks. No playtime while the family was waiting - they spent the time huddled under a shelter getting soaking wet.

Then the next day he was going down a hill (on his commuter bike this time) and it was wet and his brakes locked up and then he was flying over the handlebars.... Nothing broken, thank goodness, and he flew *onto* the bridge instead of *off* of it. We're not sure if his tumble is related to the migraine he got a few hours later, but I headed off with the car with the bike racks to go pick him up fairly shortly after he got to work.

(I'm supposed to tell you at this point that he nevertheless rode 30 miles on Saturday AM with some coworkers on his fancy bike - must give him athletic credit where it is due.)

Bit of a lazy weekend. Fairly rainy, so other than a few very wet walks around the lake for me, we spent the time inside. And at IKEA - bought The Girl a new bed that will also double as the guest bed.

An update on The Girl: I spoke with her teacher last week and explained that we were getting the sense that The Girl was not understanding what was going on. The Teacher said that yes, she had *just* figured that out. The Girl is quite subdued and shy when she is nervous, and as she wasn't saying anything and was following the other children, it took awhile for her teacher to realize just how little The Girl actually understood. So The Teacher is now making more of an effort to check in with The Girl and we've taught The Girl how to say "je ne comprends pas" and I think we're on a better track. Thanks for praying, everyone!

In other news, phase 2 of the move has begun: I sent out a resume yesterday. There are lots of jobs out there for which I'm qualified, but I'm narrowing my search by geographic distance and by expected pay, so the number drops a bit. Oh, I can't wait to be part of the working world again - unreasonable deadlines, boring meetings, punctuation debates - I miss it all so much!

0 comments:

Post a Comment