It's Like Being on Vacation. Except Without the Fun Parts.

 Friday, September 7, 2007

Still living in the hotel. Still eating out for every meal. Still only one two-foot-corridor-between-double-beds away from a family bed. Still watching copious amounts of Animal Planet.

But apparently our stuff comes tomorrow, so the end is near! It's been absolutely maddening to know that our wonderful house is sitting empty. The Boy and I went there to do laundry the other day and I lay down on the floor and closed my eyes and imagined that all my furniture was in place, the cupboards were full, and there was something yummy simmering on the stove. I know, I know, soon come.

The Girl is doing really well in school. Today she is going on a field trip to the art museum to see the Picasso exhibit. I'm quite jealous, actually, as we checked out the Picasso museum when we were in Paris, and this exhibit details his influence on American artists. But if I went, then I'd be limited to short peeks at the art in between searching for The Boy and hauling him off of sculptures, so it's probably for the best.

In exciting news, The Husband received his social security number and headed straight over to the bank; up until 10 minutes ago, we were the proud owners of a joint account complete with credit cards and a line of credit. Unfortunately, our agent did not connect the dots to realize that we had no US credit history, and has just informed us that we are not eligible for anything but pre-paid credit cards. Guess Equifax Canada went out of business last night.

Next stop: cell phones (if we can get them without credit). We have been using my pay-as-you-go cell phone in the interim and I'm burning through minute-top-ups at a frightening rate.

Today's tasks include fighting with the powers-that-be for a letter confirming my car conforms to EPA requirements (we finally got one this past Wednesday, but it was for the wrong car. That's what you get when you own two of the same, I suppose) and going to IKEA for a cheap picnic blanket for the family picnic at the school. The Boy is looking forward to playing in the playland. I, too, am looking forward to The Boy playing in the playland.

2 comments:

Anonymous,  September 7, 2007 at 11:55 AM  

Thank goodness the hotel days are almost over... felt any "The Shining" moments coming on yet? And yeah, we found out the hard way too that the Canada & US credit bureaus apparently refuse to acknowledge each other's existence.
Anyhow, I look forward to reading more of what y'all (*I* am allowed to use that word) are doing and see how the soon-to-be-furnished house looks in a lived-in state. The K-B household will keep praying for all the bumps to be smoothed out for you!

peitricia mae September 7, 2007 at 2:10 PM  

Red Rum - Red Rum!

(See subsequent post)

Thanks for the luv!

Post a Comment