Okay, Seriously - Anyone Alive Up There?!

 Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Is it just me or have temperatures in the Great White North (well, the centre of the continent part) remained steadily south of minus 20 for close to four weeks now?

I track your weather beside mine on my little desktop icons and, while my usual response is to shake my head in disbelief at how cold it is up there while thinking better you than me (accompanied by just the slightest of snickers noting the difference between "balmy" Minneapolis and relatively more frigid Winnipeg), I am starting to become concerned.

Not that you're not up for the challenge, of course. But today, when our temps plunged to an as-yet-unseen -21, and the wall of glacial air hit me as I went outside, I thought, my word they've been doing this for over a month. By the time I got to work, I'd achieved that spinal compression that accompanies a Manitoban winter - the one derived from hunching over while trying to maintain one's core warmth for months at a time and that leads to 'Tobans looking a bit like the missing link each spring as they once again become homo erectus - and wondered whether any of you have stood up straight since November.

One day of this and I've become a complaining, whining, shivering mess who wears her mittens in the office. And yet you all soldier on, muttering curses to yourselves while yelling "it's a dry cold!!" in defiance against the dark, unfeeling night. Weary but not broken, you faithfully plug in your cars, hold indoor recess, and still enjoy a slurpee for a nightcap.

Toques off to you, my friends! Relief cometh on the weekend, where my trusty weather icon tells me you'll be up to a balmy minus one. Hopefully we're headed back there as well; I've become too soft for this and I don't think my family can take the whining for much longer.

6 comments:

Anonymous,  January 13, 2009 at 9:15 PM  

I'm just speaking for myself here, but I am already dead. So the answer to your question is "Possibly others, but not Jane."

Unknown January 14, 2009 at 9:11 AM  

I too, consider myself a member of the icy undead by now. -49 is not meant to be seen by humans, ergo, I must no longer be human.

Unknown January 14, 2009 at 10:40 AM  

Ha, Ha! It's going to be 15 above zero this Sunday in Calgary. I'll be thinking of all the poor shlubbs in Manitoba (and chuckling)!

Margaret January 14, 2009 at 10:59 AM  

I agree with RB - -49 is not for humans. But get this - I saw that at 10AM it had gotten colder and had plummeted to a new low - MINUS FIFTY! Come on already.

Dry cold? yah, and "oh, but the sun is nice and warm". HUH? Inside my house, under the blanket with the heating pad under my backside?

Unknown January 14, 2009 at 7:19 PM  

Wait a second... between the winter hunch and the Programmer's Hump mentioned earlier, I'm a shoe-in to spend my retirement as a troll under a bridge, aren't I?

peitricia mae January 14, 2009 at 9:15 PM  

Ha - you and me both - see you under the bridge!

Post a Comment