Ghosts of Peanuts Past

 Thursday, October 25, 2007

Anybody remember the Peanuts comic strip where Sally is seen beaming and hugging a prize to her chest? The caption reads: "Happiness is a new library card."

*I* remember that comic. I remember it because it was taped to the circulation desk at our local public library when I was growing up. I remember it because I stared at it when I was waiting impatiently for the staff to check out my stack of newly-chosen books. And, given that I was at the library about twice a week in those good ol' days, I had many opportunities to burn its image into my retinas.

I was reminded of said strip yesterday because I finally obtained the most important piece of documentation I require in any new city - a public library card. It always takes awhile to get because one needs to provide proof of residence and it is always the card that makes me the most gleeful. Driver's license? Pssht. Bank card? A necessary evil. Even my American credit card did not produce the same sense of well-being.

Our local library definitely lived up to my high expectations, too. Its selection is minimal, but in this age of computer-based library catalogues and inter-library delivery, finding the books I want is easy. But it's a lovely old building, with big windows, a fireplace and lots of dark wood. The children's section (complete with its own children's librarian) is really great, too.

At least, I'm hoping my kids will find it great. Like any parent with a passion, I fear that my children will be indifferent (or worse, downright hostile) to reading. I cringe a little every time they choose yet another viewing of Scooby-Doo over my offer to read them the book of their choice (even if that means a Transformers chapter book). Yet I also know that a true love of anything *must* be the result of self-discovery - I cannot force, only inspire.

I also wonder how The Girl's learning-to-read experience will be different from mine. In her old school, they taught reading in English in grade one to build a linguistic foundation and then only moved on to French reading in grade two. Her current school has the entirely opposite approach: learn how to read in French and then introduce English language arts in the second grade.

It is unbelievably gratifying (and terribly cute) to hear her sound out words in French. (Her favourite is "attention!" which she likes to yell.) And she sounds out English words, too. But how does a child who is learning to read both languages concurrently sort out which is which? I know children in bilingual families all manage it somehow, but I'm curious to know how it will all work. And, given that she is a mini-me and sometimes when I look at her all I see is myself at age 6, I am anxious that her experience be mind-opening and expanding and not limiting.

3 comments:

Anonymous,  October 25, 2007 at 11:58 AM  

Happy reading! I thought of you, of course, when I saw an Anna Quindlan quote the other day, "I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves."

I've been asked what we did as parents to encourage your love of reading. All I can remember is that we provided the cardboard egg box in the red wagon for you to haul books to and from the public library every few days. Reading the entire Nancy Drew series in grade two required a few wagonloads, I recall.

peitricia mae October 26, 2007 at 1:05 PM  

Ah, too true. One of my favourite parts of this house is the built-in bookshelves - I finally have enough room for everything.

Anonymous,  October 28, 2007 at 9:28 PM  

Come now... we know there's no such thing as "enough room". What you DO have is "enough room to get more" ;)

Post a Comment