An Open Letter to the Bus Driver of Route 663

 Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Dear Sir:

When I shut my computer off at 3:00 and race out the door in order to catch the only bus that will get me to the school on time, it is not only knowing the workday is over that prompts my smile. No, my grin is also elicited by the knowledge that within minutes I will be catching a glimpse of the proud conveyor of humanity that you commandeer so faithfully every day.

I admire your assertive, yet gentle, manner of approaching the curb - waiting patiently yet silently demanding the attention of the would-be jaywalkers who quickly move aside to let you pass.

Your kindness and respect towards those who ride your serpentine chariot is unparallelled. The particular care you show towards disabled persons is inspiring; you never make those in wheelchairs feel hurried and always lend gracious assistance. I remember well the day you watched the visually-impaired man waiting at the stop with some concern until finally you left your seat, went to him, and made sure that it was not your bus for which he waited.

And you extend that respect to the rest of us. The rowdiest, loudest entrants are greeted with the same "how do you do" as the weary office-workers. You never fail to announce "our next assigned stop is the Louisiana Avenue Transit Station" with the pomp and circumstance such a pronouncement deserves.

(Yet there's nevertheless some submerged cheek. Although your stately carriage is reminiscent of Morgan Freeman, that saucy ponytail suggests there is more than meets the eye.)

Anonymous bus driver, you bring to me daily a renewed belief in the goodness of humanity. The solemn "Thank you, ma'am" that wishes me well as I leave your haven of order and kindness never fails to remind me that decency, kindness and courtesy are amiable partners on any journey.

Hail to the bus driver, indeed. Hail to the bus driver, bus driver man.

Yours sincerely,

PM

1 comments:

Anonymous,  May 20, 2008 at 8:49 PM  

I had the best bus driver when I lived in the Corydon Village. One day he broke the news to me that the following day would be his last on my route, and I baked him cookies. I think he teared up a little. It was... awkward. But nice.

Post a Comment