Jetta Down!

 Tuesday, May 6, 2008

So I was just getting into my work day, oatmeal and apple finished, second cup of coffee started, when the phone rang.

"Hey, how's it going."

"Not good. I'm stranded on the side of the road."

Yup, The Husband's car conked out en route to school. Being the good wife (and occasional knight errant) I am, I shut down the computer, asked a coworker to give my regards to my boss, and rushed to his aid.

(I would like to take this opportunity to point out that it was the acceleration-challenged-somewhat-dented-allergic-to-summer-tires-smoke-belching *older* Jetta that came to the rescue of the fancy-schmancy-so-low-to-the-ground-I-can't-do-an-automatic-carwash-I'm-so-cool-cuz-my-cupholders-aren't-broken *younger* model. We're a bit crustier, but we get the job done!)

But you know, through all of it, all I could think was "thank you."

Thank you that it happened on a side street and not on the highway.

Thank you that it was a beautiful, sunny day with not a raincloud in sight.

Thank you that no one was hurt.

Thank you that the kids were just fine through it all (although they did try The Husband's patience just a bit with complaints of how booooooring it was).

Thank you that I just made the bus out of downtown and got there in record time so the kids were on time for school and The Boy could go on his field trip.

Thank you that the car broke down 6 blocks from the Volkswagen dealership.

Thank you that we now know of a local tow truck company (Schmit Towing - unbelievably appropriate for a couple of Mennonites who take their VWs to a dealership called Luther Volkswagen).

Thank you that I have such a flexible job that I could just leave for two hours and then elect to work the rest of the day at home.

So really, it's not so bad. The car is still at the dealership and we're waiting to find out if they find anything. The Husband actually got it started and drove himself to the shop, so we're kinda hoping it was just some bad diesel (the sputtering/stalling cycle sounded a bit familiar...). A bit nerve-wracking, since I'm fairly certain we drive the only TDIs in the entire Twin Cities, and I don't trust dealerships at the best of times. I'm sure they'll charge us an arm and a leg, but fortuitously our Autopac refund cheques came yesterday.

Perhaps there will be enough left over to treat my dear car with some new cupholders, just for being *so* brave.

0 comments:

Post a Comment