Blech

 Thursday, February 7, 2008

It's feeling a bit slough-of-despond-ish in my neck of the woods lately.

It may have something to do with the fact that I'm suffering from that (self-diagnosed) toxic malady "seasonal-affective-disorder-homesickness-pms-craziness-think-i'm-nursing-a-slight-sinus-infection-sleep-deprived-due-to-too-many-netflix-heroes-episodes-itis." I'd call it the Mean Reds a la Breakfast at Tiffany's, but I don't think there's enough energy behind it.

If it were only one of these symptoms, I'd probably be quite fine. Nothing a few snacks and some Middlemarch can't fix. But altogether - it's pretty potent. My usual tendency towards mild irrationality has been amped up to DefCon 5 levels of anxiety and as a result I'm quite convinced of the following:

- I irrevocably messed up the data on a test contract at work

- I will lose my job when said data-loss is discovered

- We will go bankrupt if our children do not get into the free immersion school next year

- Our children's education will plummet to one-room-school levels if we do get into the free immersion school next year

- Tax season this year will result in owing not one, but two federal governments substantial amounts of money that we will not have because we are bankrupt (see above)

I am aware that it is somewhat unlikely that these things will happen. Perhaps none of them will. But it's tough to believe it when immersed in the slough.

Fortunately, most of my symptoms are time-sensitive and the bulk of them should disappear oh, in about 24 hours or so after I make it to the weekend and can self-medicate with liberal applications of chips & dip (and the odd gin & tonic).

Sorry for the downer post. Will be back to my glass-half-empty (instead of the current, "what glass?") self soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous,  February 8, 2008 at 1:22 PM  

For what it's worth, on the tax situation, at least you shouldn't be double-taxed. That is unless Canada works significantly different from the US; last year we had a similar situation and essentially paid 1/2 a year's tax to each country. Your income from Canada should be exempt from US taxes (you'll have to claim it, but then deduct it as foreign income later), and I'm fairly certain the opposite is true as well. If that helps. Which, I understand, it rarely does when in a funk. :P

peitricia mae February 10, 2008 at 8:51 PM  

Thank you Jesus for Turbo Tax - we did it this weekend and it wasn't even all that painful!

Now just the Canadian taxes. Gotta pay for all those services we enjoyed last year.

Post a Comment