Garden Update!

 Monday, June 18, 2012

Wanna know how my garden is doing?

Of COURSE you do!

We've had major rain lately, so it's astonishing that it all hasn't drowned. And I will admit, my lettuce and spinach aren't looking entirely amazing:

I'm not terribly surprised; it's my own fault for trying to grow cool weather crops in the middle of a super heat wave.

My zucchini and summer squash are looking pretty good, much to the shoulders slumping excitement of my children:


And my two little pumpkin sprouts are looking quite sprouty. This bodes well for pie-making.

The Girl's garden is kicking some serious butt. Her peas have crawled up the fence and her dill is leafing away. The garlic and onions don't look too fantastic, though:


My little tomato and pepper patch is making me salivate for salsa. Look how much it's grown! I need those tenty-wirey things already.


And there are peppers growing:


And wee tiny tomatoes:

But the garden that is doing the best right now is The Boy's:


We found beans today!


(Of course, no real surprise I suppose. He's got that tried and true magic-mushroom-sheltering-gnome action going on.)

Now I honestly had no idea how well any of this was going to work. Who knows how Statesy seeds behave? So I hedged my bets, and I still signed up for my CSA. Which came on Thursday for the first time, hooray!


I'm very determined to use everything up this year. Last year was a bit of a bust seeing as how I was getting bushels of veggies delivered to a brand-new-moved-in-kitchen that I didn't really know yet plus I was too busy worrying about clogged sewer drains and carpenter ants.

But this year will be different, I promise! The strawberries are long gone, and the radishes are well on their way. The kale made its way into salad tonight and that lettuce is still looking awesome and will go into another salad soon. There was kohlrabi which I think I'm going to try to roast (anyone ever tried it?). And I've been snipping chives into everything this week.

The only thing I didn't do enough justice to were the pea greens. They were awesome the first day and I had about half of them, but they're now wilting away, waiting until tomorrow (which is the day The Husband gets his hands on whatever's left so he can make fancy green juices).

Oh, and in other exciting outdoor news, we gave our deck the Randolph Rink treatment tonight:



Isn't it fancy? You're all invited to come and sit under my patio lanterns and sip the beverage of your choice while we listen to Journey. Because it's a Steve Perry deck like that.

1 comments:

Richard,  June 22, 2012 at 9:34 AM  

I'm having deck-jealousy! ;) Stumbled across this today and thought at some point it might be helpful in your "use it all up quest" in some manner:
http://sweets.seriouseats.com/2012/06/9-ways-to-use-summer-vegetables-in-desserts.html

Post a Comment