70.3

 Monday, June 11, 2012

What did *you* do this weekend?

Did it involve a 1.2 mile swim?

A 56 mile bike?

A half marathon?

In a row?

If not, then I regret to inform you that you are *not* as awesome as The Husband.

Who did all of the above in his first (and, apparently last) Half Ironman!


Do you know what's involved in training for a Half Ironman? Lots of swimming. Lots of biking. Lots of running. Lots of lots. He's been doing 1-2 workouts a day since February.

(Mr. Dedicated even sourced local YMCAs while travelling.)

I am definitely not that dedicated. On the morning of the race, I rolled over and snuggled further under the covers at 4:45 am when he left for the race. When I finally got up, I saw the coffee maker clock and thought, "oh, I guess he's onto the bike part by now. Hope the swim went okay."

Eventually the kids and I made it out to the lake where the race was. The kids played.

  (This is the lake that he swam across!)

I chillaxed with Mom Teddy and caught up on back issues of The New Yorker.


At about 1:30, I gathered the cheering section and we headed over to the finish line.


Waited awhile, and then there he was! Far away but getting closer...


And he soared triumphantly past the finish line!


(Apparently my camera does not auto-rotate. Sorry about that.)

It was BEASTLY hot. 90 degrees (33 Celcius in *real* numbers) and high humidity. He was pretty much ready to go home after the bike. Except for that little add-on of a HALF MARATHON. On a breezeless, sun-beating-down course.

So, so proud! So, so amazed!

So, SO glad he's never doing it again!

1 comments:

Mom P,  June 11, 2012 at 8:44 PM  

What an achievement! We are so proud of his determination and success!

Post a Comment