I'm Not Dead Yet!

 Saturday, July 3, 2010

One minute I was all, "June is busting out all oh-over" and the next second I was parking my shiny, little surrey with the fringe on top back in the stable for another year.

(Heh, heh. Rodgers and Hammerstein drive-by.)

Happy belated Canada Day, everyone! Some days I hardly notice that I'm not in Canada. I listen to CBC all day (Mountain time zone, so I'm totally up on what's going on in Edmonton), I don't get sick (so I never fill out insurance forms), and I usually make sure I've got imported ketchup chips and beer always at the ready for snacking.

But Canada Day always feels a bit strange, especially since I know y'all are off work and nobody down here is talking about anything but getting ready for the fourth of July. But we imported some Canadians to spend the weekend with us, and The Girl arranged strawberries in the shape of a maple leaf on the cake and, really, what more do you need?

Sorry so absent lately. Been too busy to blog, alas and alackaday. But the busy = mostly good. Lots of visitors - the Hotel PM concierge has been blissfully busy planning firesides, biking, and trips to the park.

Plus trying out new recipes, something I only do when I have guests because if it's a flop a) there won't be leftovers to force down my family's throat all week and b) I figure that since our room rates are pretty low, we can assume at least semi-willingness to be guinea pigs. We've got an overnight baked french toast that is a definite winner.

The littlekins are back into the routine of their summer program. Good times for everyone with field trips and games. Although it's a bit tough on The Boy; The Girl moved up to the next level and he's a bit jealous of the cool factor over with the big kids.

She's loving it. Two words: glue guns. (No surprise to her mother, whose favourite Red Rock skill was Arts & Crafts. I love me some four-strand braided leather bracelets and felt bookmarks.)

My biggest time suck has probably been my body. I started biking to work again a couple of weeks ago and while it takes a fair chunk of time, it's really great. Good for my heart, good for my mental stability (I see my exercising as a public service, actually), and good for the environment. In theory, good for my pocketbook, but I figure it'll take me 2.5 months of riding/not paying bus fare to make up for the fancy new pannier The Husband bought me.

And, of course, the running. Tomorrow is the big day! I'm excited. Which, in itself, is pretty much the craziest part about all of this. That I would be excited to run 13 miles. Even though it's forecast to be rainy.

I'm definitely nervous, although less so knowing that I have run that far in the past. I have only two goals: to finish, and to beat the rescue van. I'm pretty confident I'll do it, but there's still a tiny part of me that's doubting my ability. I figure a healthy dose of fear will be good though - it'll get me through those last mile, shuffling along and glancing anxiously over my shoulder for that van idling slowly along, its driver looking at me a bit impatiently and thinking, oh honey, just admit it and get in."

2 comments:

Mom P,  July 3, 2010 at 5:06 PM  

Oh yes, we're thinking of you and THE RUN tomorrow, and wishing you a great experience. In your honour we and your brothers will be partying here with Aunt M and Grandma, first with vereneki for lunch and BBQ'd burgers and watermelon for supper. Will miss you, and will await your report! All the best, my dear!

Laurel July 3, 2010 at 8:50 PM  

The Holland family has believed in your running abilities since the big announcement. Have fun (if you can ever use that work to describe running). Looking forward to hearing the results.

Post a Comment