Anybody else...

 Tuesday, May 1, 2012

...getting tired of checking this blog only to discover that yet again PM hasn't posted?

Me too.

(Apparently Blogger is thinking the same thing as they have totally overhauled the whole post creation factory since the last time I was here and I don't know where anything is. Please pardon errant italics.)

Know what else I'm tired of? This whole "life at the speed of light" thing. The "where has the time gone?" deal.

At first it was kind of funny. I felt like a walking cliche and I sniggered a bit at my whole mom-jeans-and-high-fiber outlook.

(Mmmm. Fiber.)


And there are definite advantages to the speediness. I don't get the Monday blues anymore; I've realized that I only need to blink a couple of times and then suddenly it's Friday night.

(Cuts both ways, though. I get a teensy bit sad every Friday because I know Monday is just around the corner.)

Then I started to get mad. What business does Time have jumping to warp speed without advance warning? Just when everything starts to get settled...the kids get to a good age, my job is great, we are feeling comfortable in our house/neighborhood/church....suddenly I can't even catch my breath long enough to stop and smell those dang roses?

And then I started to get sad. (Didn't I tell you that I was going to have a mid-life crisis this year?) Like the walking cliche I am, I am sad that I feel these important moments slipping so quickly through my fingertips. I am sad that I spend so much time anticipating what's coming next that I miss what's happening now.

I am sad that in so many ways I've "arrived" at a place where I've longed to be and, now that I'm here, I feel too rushed to even enjoy it.

So I am trying to be more mindful. I am trying to notice the small things. To take pleasure in the mundane. To give thanks for the ordinary.

I'm going to try to be deliberate and record those things here. Because otherwise my gratitude is as fleeting as the moment for which I am thankful. No promises that it will be every day or anything, but I want this place to be a little bit less "long time no see" and more "in our last episode."

1 comments:

Marilyn P May 2, 2012 at 2:27 PM  

I'm one of those 'checking regularly', and am happy to see you back. I look forward to your 'smelling the roses' thoughts!

Post a Comment