When The Husband's Away...

 Monday, March 11, 2013

I get to go to my happy place.

The paint aisle.

(I can't help it. It's an obsession.)

 

I'm not allowed to paint while The Husband is around. Well, I can do it. But oh my - the whining and complaining. You'd think it was the end.of.the.world. if outlet covers didn't go back on within five minutes of paint drying.

(Pay no attention to the window pulls that have yet to be returned to their rightful home after the painting of the sunroom. It's only been a year and a half.)

So, I have to take advantage of his business trips to pull out the ol' paint chips. And I have to do it kind of on the sly. At least, I have to pretend I'm not doing it and he pretends that he doesn't know that I'm totally going to do it. Last week's exchange:

From: PM@work.com
To: TheHusband@gmail.com

Hi. Question for you. Do you think you could help me move the hutch in the dining room into the bedroom? And maybe the bookshelves? Also, would it be very hard to take down the chandelier?

No reason.

XOXOXO

So this week he's gone for a looooong time - won't see him around these parts until next Sunday. That is SEVEN whole days of pure paint tray and dropcloth bliss. (Shhhh. Don't tell.)

I've never really liked the colour I chose for the main floor. It's too bad - it took me a long time to do. I think, at the time, anything seemed like an improvement.


Can you see the Under the Tuscan Sun fake marbling effect of the previous paint job? Oy. So marbled. So strangely yellowish. It just didn't do it for me.

I went with blue. It's a nice blue. A perfectly good blue. It matches the couches and the wood just fine. And yet....

I didn't love the blue. I didn't even really like the blue. It took me a long time to admit it, but I just never warmed to it. That's not easy to admit when it's brand new. But now it's been almost two years (craziness! We've been living here almost two years!) and it's time to freshen up.

(Or, as The Girl said when we moved the couch and she saw all the dust bunnies underneath, "Mom, there's a lot of dust under here. You should paint more often.")

From your lips to God's ears, darlin'.


It's gonna be good times this week! I've got five cans, a ton of new rollers, and THREE rolls of Frog Tape. And a deadline - oh my, if it still looks like this when someone's plane gets back, it's going to take a LOT of imagination to pretend that there's really still a couch there.

2 comments:

Marilyn P March 14, 2013 at 10:01 AM  

Can hardly wait for the 'after' photos ... I'm a big fan of HGTV home improvement shows, love living vicariously!

I hear The Husband is having coffee today with a certain son of mine! Nice!

peitricia mae March 14, 2013 at 10:58 AM  

I know! I am jealous of him! Wish I could be there too. And to get a Tim Hortons fix... Been too long since my last cruller

Post a Comment