SERIOUSLY?!

 Tuesday, April 3, 2012

It feels like I say this every day.


When I look at the calendar...

How can it possibly be April already? I was barely aware that it was March. And now my calendar page has gone all flippy again.

When I look outside...

Heh heh. Sorry Old Man Winter. Looks like you done got beat early this year. The grass is green, the birds are singing, and even the trees are budding and blossoming. The parkas have already been put away for the year and our used-three-times snowblower is in storage.

When I look at my kids...

We had a birthday here this weekend. 11?! It seems unpossible. And yet, today when we went shoe shopping, we didn't even bother with the kids' section. (Although she's still my baby. Every night she thanks Jesus for "Mom and Mom Teddy.")

And my behemoth of a son? He's giving his sister a run for her money. Except when it's been awhile since he's had a haircut and he's walking around with a haystack on his head that adds a couple of inches. Then people start asking me if I have twins.

When I look at the clock...

I've been given a temporary project at work that, while super fun and amazing and fabulous experience, nevertheless takes up 85% of my total brain capacity. (This is causing a bit of an issue around here since the rest of my life usually takes up at least 50%.) Every day flies by. It feels like it's time for lunch just after my morning coffee and then I blink and it's 3:00.

I've heard life with young kids described as "long days and short years." True to what everyone said about time accelerating as you get older, I feel like I've now reached the "short days and short years" phase of life. This school year just started yet we're counting down the days to the end of year. Just yesterday we finally got the kids into the right elementary school and now The Girl is excited about graduating from fifth grade and heading off to middle school next year.

(Middle. School. Hold me...)

Every Friday, as I enjoy my bestest moment of the week and take the elevator down after work, thinking about having the whole weekend ahead of me, I actually get a wee bit sad thinking about how soon Monday is going to come. But now it's gotten to the point that when the Monday blues hit, I say, "oh, just hang on a sec...I just have to look at this design...." and suddenly I'm on that elevator, hitting "L" on a Friday afternoon again.

3 comments:

Marilyn P April 7, 2012 at 6:22 PM  

I KNOW ... where has time gone when you already have an 11 year old! Have a wonderful Easter with your families 'up north'.

4ever29 April 21, 2012 at 9:45 AM  

After reading this post I've decided that our families have been apart much too long! I remember weekly dinners for the short time you lived in Vancouver with toddler girls and babies! Now Eric towers over me and is high school, I look Meg almost directly in the eye when I talk to her and Nat is learning her times tables! We will have to find a way to get our families together!!

peitricia mae May 1, 2012 at 9:09 PM  

Oh my goodness, yes! Those were good times - and such babies we had :) I'd love to see those towering kids of yours!

Post a Comment